Monday, October 12, 2009

Broncos Go Old School

October 11, 2009
by Sasha, UltimateCheerleaders.com

This was the weekend for the Denver Broncos to play in their brown and yellow throwback uniforms from the 1960s. The cheerleaders will also expected to don the old colors for the game. However, I doubt they will take it back to the 60s.

A brief history lesson:
The Denver Broncos Cheerleaders as you see them today are the third incarnation of that sideline entertainment group. Back in the 60s, it was the Broncos Belles, and in the 70s, it was the Pony Express. I know zilch about the Broncos Belle, except that they existed. I sure wish I had a photo or two. I know almost zilch about the Pony Express. For all of my searching, I have uncovered only 4-5. The Pony Express existed for 3 years, and their demise was caused by some kind of scandal involving 3 or 4 members of the team and may or may not have had something to do with illicit drugs.

(Not to sound preachy, but here is another example why NFL Cheerleaders’ behavior must be exemplary in all ways. It only takes a couple of girls on one team to screw it up, not only for their team, but also for the other dance team in the league. Gee, thanks girls. But of course, I am preaching to the choir, so enough about that.)

After the Pony Express went bye-bye the Broncos were cheerleader-less for over a decade. Finally, in the 90s, the Denver Broncos Cheerleaders were reborn in the form that we see them today. They are talented, all-American, and the reputation is above reproach.

Getting back to my point, the DBC were to have been sporting the throwback threads this weekend. I have no I idea what that will look like. As I wait impatiently for photographs, (Why the heck are there so few gameday photos of the DBC on Broncos.com? Or anywhere else, for that matter?), I must tip my hat to the Denver Broncos themselves, for sporting these uber-attractive uniforms on the field. God bless their stripey little hearts.