Friday, January 4, 2008

My Christmas Holiday

I love Christmas, but it always seems to sneak up on me. It seems like in the blink of an eye I go from picking out my Halloween costume, to sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner, and then all of a sudden it’s Christmas Eve! Where do the days go?

Every year I want to take the time to enjoy the weeks before Christmas by listening to Christmas music at home, picking out thoughtful gifts for the special people on my list, and baking holiday treats. Instead, I didn’t have the time to sit at home listening to holiday music, I did my shopping the day before Christmas at the crowded malls, and baked nothing (but I did enjoy my mom’s delicious cookies!).

Don’t get me wrong, I had a fabulous holiday. I was able to spend time with friends and family, but this time of year always seems too rushed. I spend my days checking off the items on my to-do list instead of having quiet time to reflect on the things that I am doing.

I am fortunate to have this week off from work. I have twelve days of uninterrupted vacation and I am savoring every moment of it. I finally have time to sit and watch the snow fall outside, to pick up the book that is getting dusty on my bedside table, and to catch up on extra rest. I feel like I am a better person when I have the time to do these things.

In 2008, I vow to slow down. I want to emphasize quality instead of quantity. I want to take on less and have more by focusing on being present each and every day. It is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, but I plan to smell the flowers every once and a while.

- Laura (12/27/07)