Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tryouts



This Saturday hundreds of girls will show up to audition for the Denver Broncos Cheerleading squad, which brings the 2007-2008 year to an official close.

This is always a bit sad for us as each year veteran cheerleaders decide not to audition for a variety of reasons. This year we have girls going back school to become teachers, some wanting to start a family, others moved to different cities, and a couple who are ready to retire from dancing.

However, it is also very wonderful because it is a time for new girls to make the team. It is always fun to meet the rookies and to hear about their interests, experiences, and ideas. They bring a new perspective to the squad.

It was a hard decision for me, but I will not be auditioning for next year’s team. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on the team and will miss it tremendously, but my life is changing. I am getting married this fall and wanted to spend the year focusing on my relationship with my fiancĂ©, the wedding, and my family. I also wanted to have more time to develop my career. Being a cheerleader is a huge commitment and I did not want to spread myself too thin.

However, I would like to take a moment to encourage girls to audition on March 29th. If you love dancing, being a member of this team is a life changing experience. It’s amazing to take something that you are passionate about and to share it with others who love it as well. Also, being part of this team is a challenge, both physically and mentally, but it is a very rewarding challenge and one that makes you grow as a person.

I will be at Finals with the other alumni cheerleaders supporting everyone that is auditioning this year. Good luck!

- Laura Sobon (3/25/2008)