Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where Are They Now - Erica Weston (former DBC)

Lakers Blog
Laker girl profile: Erica believes everything in moderation is key to a successful diet
January 9, 2011 | 8:15 am

Laker Girl name: Erica

Hometown: Denver, CO

Years on the Laker Girls squad: 3

Area of Residence: Marina Del Rey

College: Graduate of Loyola Marymount University (CA)

High School: Highlands Ranch High School (Highlands Ranch, CO)

What prompted you to want to become a Laker Girl? I’ve been a dancer my entire life and from a young age, knew of the Laker Girls dance team and what it meant to me, to become one. Early on, I established auditioning for the Laker Girls and making the team as one of my key goals as a dancer. Plus, I love sports!!

What do you think stood out to the judging panel, about you, regarding your audition? I think the judges could tell from my dance audition that I was really passionate about the possibility of getting this job. It had truly been a lifelong goal. Also, in my interview, I think they could see that I understood what it takes to be a member of a professional dance team, having had prior experience.

What do you think makes a good Laker Girl? Being a Laker Girl requires dedication, attention to detail and having excellent time management! We are very busy. I also think a good Laker Girl shows a willingness to be involved in the Los Angeles community. We have the opportunity to meet just about every walk of life in Los Angeles through our charities and appearances. Not to mention, it is a tremendous opportunity to connect with fans and serve as an ambassador for the Lakers organization and NBA. Also, perhaps the most obvious about being a good Laker Girl…… is being a fan of the Lakers!

What is your dance experience? I’ve been a dancer since I was 3 years old and started with ballet training. I attended ballet-centric dance academies until I was about 11 and then started to add jazz, contemporary, hip hop and tap into my training as well.

Favorite dance routine, while being a Laker Girl? My favorite dance while being a Laker Girl was one we did my first year called “Show Me” by Janet Jackson. It’s that cool, hip, trendy sort of jazz that I don’t really get to perform that often.

Favorite uniform? My favorite uniform is one that we call “Purple Mesh.” It’s a skirt and a top that are made of white and purple mesh (naturally, hence the name) with rhinestones. I feel very girly and glamorous when we get to wear that one!

Favorite Lakers Player? Pau Gasol

Favorite Laker Girl memory so far? My favorite memory would have to be the parade and rally after we won the first of our most recent back-to-back championships. The fans during the parade were SO happy that the Lakers were able to return the title to its rightful home in Los Angeles. And the rally at the Coliseum was something I will never forget! Dancing on the transplanted STAPLES Center court at the Coliseum with 90,000+ fans celebrating together literally gave me goose bumps!

What do you like most about being involved, as a Laker Girl, at local charity/community events? The appreciation we get from the fans. Everyone is so happy that we are able to lend our time to help them, but we are just as thrilled to be there helping them out.

What would you say is your beauty secret? Wash your face every night and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!

What diet/workout tips do you have? Try to find something that works for you and stick with it. I am a huge supporter of “everything in moderation”. Do not feel deprive yourself, or you will end up going crazy. Also, everyone knows, or should by now, that including workouts several times a week will help you achieve your goals and stay healthy.

What are your hobbies? I like playing golf (I won a long-drive contest when I was 7!!), tennis, board/yard games and keeping my dog, Jack, happy!

Career aspirations? Laker Girls has given me the opportunity to be an in-game “Lakers TV Host”, which has made me realize how much I enjoy on-camera work. I’d love to be a host, reporter or broadcaster some day in the sports or entertainment world.

--Mark Medina