Monday, September 17, 2007

Finding the Strength to Heal

I am sure many of you heard about Buffalo’s Kevin Everett who was severely injured Saturday’s games when he collided with Bronco Domenik Hixon. I saw on the news yesterday morning that he is doing remarkably well, better than most expected. I know that he received excellent care from the team physician, doctors, and nurses and that their actions were what initially put him in a good position to heal. Although I have never met Kevin, I suspect it also has to do with his strong will to recover.

The Denver Broncos Cheerleaders do a lot of work with Craig Hospital, a center located in Denver that focuses on the rehabilitation and research of patients with spinal cord and brain injuries. Last year, I was fortunate have met an inspiring patient. Months before I met him, he was on a vacation with his son in Malibu, CA. This man was involved in a shark attack, him leaving him paralyzed. Despite this difficult situation, he kept a remarkable attitude. Instead of focusing on his condition, he remained positive and told everybody that he was going to walk again.

Sure enough, he has made a lot of progress. I have remained in touch with this patient through email and I am very impressed. He is well on the road to recovery and has had so much support. The mind is very powerful and it is amazing what positive thoughts can do.

I am keeping Kevin Everett in my prayers and am thinking about his friends and family. I hope with the support of those around him, he has the strength to fight through this. I wish him the very best!

- Laura Sobon (9/13/07)