Thursday, August 23, 2007

Muddy Buddy

Keela here!

Things have been moving pretty quickly as usual for the cheerleaders. Summers always seem to fly and before we know it the season has begun! Year round’ we are able to spend time in and throughout the community on promotions or charities; yet around this time of the year, well, everything just seems to pick up the pace.

As we all feel the heat of the season upon us I usually feel a mixture of overwhelming excitement to get out on that field for another season of Broncos football and anxiousness to get our first game underway. Our rehearsals are packed full of everything we can manage to fit in, including but not limited to, continuation of learning new material, cleaning existing choreography and maintaining technique. All of this anticipation left me feeling the need for a little something different to relax and re-focus my attention before our first game this upcoming weekend…and I wasn’t the only one.

Sarah Culter, a fellow teammate and myself decided to put our attention to a different adventure this past weekend by joining the ultimate race in Denver; “The Muddy Buddy “of course! For those of you Denverites who have not heard of the event, it is a sold-out race in Boulder with approximately 900 teams. Everyone brings their “A” game to the table, competing with names like “The Mediocres” or my personal favorites, “Kanondo Kakkala Anyika”–my team name of course( Tonga for “turtle that lives on land”) and “Sparkle Motion,” Sarah Culter’s team name.

(A small bit of history on our team name, my boyfriend serves in the Peace Corps in Zambia and is in fact visiting home in Denver for a few weeks and we had to pay tribute to the language he has newly acquired — Tonga.)

The race consisted of 6.2 miles of total track where one partner begins running and the other biking. Once you meet and complete the obstacle courses located at each mile marker you switch roles. The pattern continues like so in a leap frog fashion until the ultimate ending — the infamous “mud pit.”

Individuals must go through this portion together underneath flags crawling army style through the entire pit. The race finishes off by running straight into the Boulder Reservoir. Definitely the most unique race I have ever been a part of and certainly brought out my competetive side. Mission accomplished I am now ready for the season– I just needed a little mud in the picture to help me see more clearly.

I think I just found my new preseason tradition! Any fun preseason or regular season traditions out there???

Warm Regards,
Keela (8/20/07)